Richmond Civic Theatre is in search of a new full-time Technical Director. We will be collecting resumes from qualified candidates over the next few months, with the goal of having this position filled by October 1.
Technical Director Job Description
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: Full-time, salaried, exempt. A normal workweek is 40 hours, but with the nature of the Technical Director position, flexibility is required. Some work on nights and weekends is necessary.
Compensation: This position includes the following salary and benefits:
- $38,000 – $40,000 annually
- Paid holidays
- Paid vacation
- Flexible weekly schedule
- Compensation time off for extra hours worked
Job Summary: The Technical Director is primarily responsible for supervision and coordination of the technical elements (lighting, sound, set, etc.) of all Richmond Civic Theatre productions and events. The Technical Director ensures safe working practices, develops and maintains a strong technical volunteer base, coordinates space rentals, and
A successful candidate will have a strong work ethic, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to develop and maintain positive, collaborative relationships with all stakeholders (designers, actors, administrative staff, board members, volunteers, patrons, and community members).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees all aspects of the technical budget for the physical theatre space, as well as production/show tech budgets
- Maintains inventory of all technical equipment
- Provides the Executive Director an annual inventory of all technical equipment which includes recommendations for replacement, refurbishment, or purchase of new equipment
- Assists in development of the RCT production calendar detailing all rehearsals, materials acquisition, set build, load-ins, tech rehearsals, and strike
- Supervises training on all equipment and stays abreast of new technology and software related to theatre productions
- Designs, sets up, maintains, and operates sound, lighting, stage and other technical equipment and systems as needed
- Serves as Building Supervisor after normal hours of operation, or during assigned productions and rental events
- Additional duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Ensures smooth and uniform execution of the technical aspects of all RCT productions by coordinating and managing volunteer production teams and performing technical work as needed
- Works with the directors and designers to execute all designs on time and within budget
- Reads and interprets ground plans, drawings, drafting and plots, and supplements design work as needed
- Helps to maintain and train volunteer production teams on all relevant RCT operational and safety manuals, guidance, and policies
- Attends all production meetings
- Works with RCT committees to help recruit, develop, and retain technical production volunteers
- Develops and maintains relationships with local designers, builders, and schools with technical training programs
- Oversees management of all load-ins and strikes
- Bachelor’s Degree in Technical Theatre, OR equivalent, proven volunteer/work experience in Technical Theatre (set building, lighting design, rigging, sound engineering, etc.)
- High level carpentry, electrical, and rigging skills
- Ability and knowledge to handle multiple, simultaneous tasks in a timely manner
- Competent, working knowledge and experience of theatrical equipment, practices, design tools, and software
- General working knowledge of buildings and facilities to assist with and recommend maintenance and repairs
- Collaborative, friendly attitude with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. regularly
- Ability to see and respond to potentially unsafe conditions
- Ability to safely climb ladders regularly
- Ability to do work with arms lifted above head
- Familiarity with ADA, OSHA and other safety and compliance practices
- Familiarity with design software a plus
If interested in joining the RCT Team, please submit your resume with an introduction about yourself and your experience (could be a separate cover letter if desired), via email to:
John Faas – Executive Director at john.faas@goRCT.org
Open to all!
Auditions for Richmond Civic Theatre productions are open to anyone who wishes to try his or her hand at being on stage. Nearly every RCT show has newcomers in the cast.
If you can sing, dance, and/or project your voice well and are willing to commit yourself to a demanding rehearsal schedule, chances are there is a place for you. especially in the larger productions.
Upcoming auditions will be announced on this web page several weeks before they are scheduled.